While taking part to big projects, we face big issues and develop big innovative solutions
RESEARCh & DEVELOPMENT
Innovation is the core activity of Mathema.
Two remarkable areas of current research are:
Human Behavior Modelling
Through multiple and co-ordinate state machines. Our human behavior model has been widely used to represent the particularly various and complex phenomenon of the Italian citizens in the whole world.
Large Database Clearing and Exploration
the technologies that we develop
- latente spaces;
- representation spaces.
- a system able to predict the daily water consumption of a household;
- a universal water meter reader.
We developed a human pose estimation system to counter-shoplifting;
- a system to detect and recognize box checking and handwritten text on a letter;
- a system to read a paper ballot for the voting tallying.
We developed a system to guide elderly people in a walk suggesting the best path given the circumstances and the user preferences.
BlockChain is for Mathema a founding technology. Current information systems and event AI datasets and models are potentially subjected to manipulation and fraud. BlockChain, with its immutable ledger, guarantees that data or applications (or, in general, events) are registered once for all and may not be forged.
Mathema has a sound theoretical knowledge and practical experience of BlockChain technology, particularly for “permissioned blockchain” but, as usual, for Mathema technology is not an end in itself, it is a means to an end. In this case, we have a provable expertise in translating legal contacts in smart contracts to enforce legal obligations or to guarantee copyrights or micro-copyrights. Mathema knows how to model a BlockChain network with its assets, smart contracts, channels, permissions and so on. Moreover Mathema makes extensive use of Oracles to access external APIs from within smart contracts.
- SchoolChain, a project aimed at guaranteeing copyrights for teachers authoring innovative educational material;
- Reasset, a project aimed at demonstrating how BlockChain technology may be used in very large Global Service Maintenance for heath structures (hospitals or other healthcare institutions);
- ERICA, a project aimed at providing micro-Intellectual Properties for creative workers.
Faithful to the motto “seeing the unseen and achieving the unachievable” Mathema has dedicated a lot of effort in the domains of Virtual and Augmented Reality. Despite the disappointing performances provided by the current VR/AR headsets (even the most celebrated) Mathema has developed a methodology to create virtual or augmented or mixed realities to support mission critical tasks (e.g. an environmental emergency) through mobile control rooms.
A notable example of this VR/AR application is the CyberTrust project where we designed and implemented a mobile control room to manage cyber attacks in complex environments.
Early developments in the VR/AR domains are about recreating historical situations and events such as “Florence Capital” or the Great Flood in 1966 (“Once Upon the Time” project).
Collection, Management, Mining, Analytics
Currently Mathema is processing Big Data for:
- maintenance of devices spread on large territories;
- maintenance projects and contracts;
- research projects management and reporting.
Mathema has since recently mainly used statistical methods to analyze Big Data but it is rapidly converging to Deep Learning techniques (particularly in the Graph Neural Networks domain) to extract new and deeper insight from Big Data.